November 6, 2012

oil portraits

I'm completely fixated on owning an antique oil portrait: mostly black, pops of white, of a total stranger.


Nate Berkus for Target


Architectural Digest


I missed my big opportunity on eBay a couple months back-- a large original oil portrait of a seriously beautiful lady for only $100. My husband thinks this whole stranger portrait thing is creepy, and I thought it might be a fleeting fancy, so I passed on it. Big oops.


I haven't found anything even close to as wonderful as that portrait. 
Here's what my Internet searching has offered up recently:

Aside from the fact that a reproduction portrait of a famous figure is kind of cheesy, the lighting and color (or lack thereof) are perfection.


eBay | Etsy
And I'm drawn to the leprechaun dude's colors. But he gives me the creeps!

2 comments:

designchic said...

I love them too, and one of my favorite paintings in my home is of my husbands grandfather...so handsome in our library.

Mary Ann Pickett said...

I have seen some in consignment stores...cool idea.
www.classiccasualhome.com