December 11, 2012

the best rug

When Kirsten shared this bedroom by White + Gold Design, I got heart flutters. It's so up my alley--white, gold, black, crisp, stripes, antiques. It's beautiful but accessible and not overly designed. AND THE RUG.


You've seen it before, I'm sure. I first fell in love with the offset black-and-white stripes in this room. It's the perfect graphic, modern compliment to the gilded frames.


The original is by Madeline Weinrib, but IKEA makes a spectacular copy (the stripes are just smaller). It's huge and cheap and the best rug ever, if you ask me. IKEA figured out it's popular and raised the price by $100, but it's still a steal. I've posted about it at least three times (here, here, and here). 


The faux camel hide I posted about was in here before, but it was way too warm beige/brown. I don't know how this happened, because I don't even like brown! So I took Emily Henderson's palette-picking advice and put in the "colors" I wear the most--black and white. (Really, read this post. It will help you.) It looks great with my favorite pillows, broke up the beige-y blah (as much as possible with that couch), and made the nailhead trim stand out more. I feel like it was a big step in the right direction.

4 comments:

Santi said...

yes, this is the perfect rug, i agree ;)

santiroyalhome.blogspot.com

Annie @ House on Rene said...

This is really a fabulous rug. Looks great in your place!

Dina @ Honey + Fitz said...

GREAT rug. I've posted about it a bunch too. It's perpetually sold out at my IKEA it seems except recently I've seen it there a lot. I'm not a huge fan of the super scratchy wool but I was able to find the same design but in navy blue on Rugs USA and we have it in our bedroom. Love it.

Lisa said...

I thought it was a bit scratchy like Dina. Wish I could find it in a wool blend at an affordable price. Any ideas out there?
Would love to use it in my sons room. Must see if Rugs USA delivers to Canada. Love the rug at your house! Merry Christmas.